Sharing Your Faith – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
Essential Disciplines – Session 9 – Sharing Your Faith – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
Share with the group an experience where you shared or tried to share your faith with someone else. What sort of response did you receive?
1 Listen to Their Story
- Read John 4:1-26. How does Jesus show His care and compassion for this woman in His conversation with her?
- Why is it important to listen without judgment?
- Why is it important to listen to the other person’s story before we seek to share our story or God’s story? Are there exceptions to this guideline?
2 Share Our Story
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:9-10. How does Paul’s transparency about his own past failures make him a more effective witness?
- Have you taken the time to write a brief, organized summary of your God’s story? If you have, how has it helped you to share your faith? If you haven’t, what would it take you to take this step?
3 Share God’s Story
- Have you created a simple outline to share God’s story? It there a tool that you have used that makes this easier?
- What are the obstacles that prevent some people from sharing this story with others? How do we overcome these obstacles?
4 Connect Their Story to God’s Story
- How can we continue ongoing discussion with someone regarding God’s Story?
- How do you know when it is time to invite another person to follow Jesus?
- If you have not already done so, write out a brief, simple account of your God story, using the outline provided in this session.
- Likewise, if you have not already done so, write out a brief outline of God’s Story, using your own words, so that you could share it with someone else.
- Take the plunge. Begin this process of sharing your faith with the person you prayed for in the previous session. Let someone else know that you have begun this process, and give them permission to pray for and encourage you in this mission.