Commitment to Mission – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
Essential Engagement – Session 5 – Commitment to Mission – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
- What comes to mind when you hear the phrase “spiritual gifts”?
1 The Presence of the Holy Spirit
1.1 In Our New Creation
- Read John 3:5-8. How is the Holy Spirit involved in our rebirth as renewed children of God?
- Read Romans 8:9-11. How does the Holy Spirit help us to live as God intends us to live?
1.2 In Our New Mission
- Read Acts 2:1-13. Describe the scene that is described in this passage. What does this event have to do with the power promised to us as we share the Gospel with others?
2 The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
2.1 The Same Spirit
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-7. Why is it important to realize that there is one Spirit who inspires all the gifts?
2.2 A Diversity of Gifts
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:8-14. Why does the Spirit pour out a diversity of gifts among God’s children?
- Compare the lists of spiritual gifts that Paul provides in 1 Corinthians 12:28-30, Romans 12:6-8, and Ephesians 4:11. Are we given in these passages a complete, exhaustive list of all the possible spiritual gifts? Why or why not?
2.3 Gifts Working Together
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:15-30. Why are all the gifts worthy of the same honor?
2.4 Identifying Your Spiritual Gifts
- How can we identify our spiritual gifts? Hint: A simple test or survey will not do the job by itself. We must in engage in the spiritual discipline of prayer with others as a significant part of the process.
- Write a short paragraph listing the spiritual gifts that God has given to you. Or, if you are still trying to figure this out, describe the steps you have taken so far to discover these gifts.
- How can you develop and use your spiritual gifts more effectively?