Commitment to Others – Part 1 – Discussion Guide
Essential Engagement – Session 2 – Commitment to Others – Part 1 – Discussion Guide
- Why are quality relationships so difficult to maintain in today’s culture?
1 Learning to Love
1.1 A Loving Commandment
- Read Matthew 22:37-40. How is our love for God and our love for one another inter-related?
1.2 Loving Actions
- If 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 describes “true love,” how good a “lover” are you, based on God’s definition?
1.3 Loving Transformation
- What is the most effective way to forgive someone who has sinned against you?
- What freedom and power comes to us when we forgive someone else?
2 Learning to Encourage
2.1 Our Need to Encourage
- Why is it necessary to encourage one another?
- Read Hebrews 10:24-25. Why must we meet together on a regular basis?
2.2 Our Opportunities to Encourage
- How can the challenges in our own life function as opportunities to encourage others?
- Share a time in your life when you were able to encourage someone else, and when someone else encouraged you.
3 Learning to Serve
3.1 The Glory of Serving
- Read Philippians 2:3-8. How does Jesus transform our culture’s view of servants?
3.2 The Honor of Serving
- Write a paragraph describing how you can be a better “lover” according to God’s definition of love.
- Encourage at least three different people this week, and record those acts in a journal.