Commitment to Others – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
Essential Engagement – Session 3 – Commitment to Others – Part 2 – Discussion Guide
- What are the primary reasons why people avoid becoming a part of a local church body?
1 A Commitment to Church
1.1 One Spiritual Organism
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-14. How does Paul use the breath in our human bodies to illustrate the role of the Holy Spirit in the church?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:15-26. How does God ensure that our diverse Spiritual body remains united?
1.2 A United, Physical Witness
- Why is it important to join a local, organized group of believers?
2 A Commitment to Family
2.1 A Parent’s Responsibility
- Why are families so important in God’s plan?
- What do parents need most in order to raise their children in accordance with God’s will?
2.2 The Church’s Responsibility
- How do we as a church respond to all the different forms of family that we find in today’s culture?
3 A Commitment to Care
3.1 Discerning the Real Need
- Read Galatians 6:2 and 2 Thessalonians 3:10. How do we find a balance between ministering to genuine need and encouraging others to take responsibility for their own well-being?
3.2 Having Tough Conversations
- What are the consequences for failing to have tough conversations when they become necessary?
- What scriptural guidelines are we given for having these conversations in a God-honoring way?
3.3 Grieving and Celebrating Together
- Why is it necessary to grieve our losses together?
- Why is it necessary to celebrate together?
- Write a paragraph describing why it is important for you to be a part of a local body of believers.
- What concrete steps can you take to support other families in their effort to raise their children well?
- Don’t forget this week to “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” Romans 12:15