Essential Engagement – Introduction – Discussion Guide
Essential Engagement – Session 1 – Introduction – Discussion Guide
- Describe a time in your life when you were part of a successful team? What made your team so successful?
- Do you agree with the statement that discipleship is always about “us and Jesus”, not just “me and Jesus”? Why or why not?
1 Commitment to Others
1.1 Learning to Love, Encourage and Serve
- Read 1 John 3:16-18. Compare and contrast this view of love with what we find in our current culture.
1.2 Commitment to Church, Family and Care
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-26. Why does Paul say that the church is like our human bodies?
- In what ways can we support parents in raising their children well?
2 Commitment to Mission
2.1 Authority, Accountability and Reward
- Read Matthew 28:18-19. What sort of authority does Jesus pass on to His disciples?
- To what extent are we justified in working for a reward in heaven?
- Read John 14:15-27. Why does Jesus describe the Holy Spirit as an “Advocate” (in the NIV translation)? How has the Spirit fulfilled this role in your life?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-7. How do the gifts of the Spirit provide power for our mission?
- Write a paragraph describing how engaged you are in God’s community and His mission. Do you sense that God is calling you to a deeper level of commitment? If so, what concrete steps can you take in response to that calling?
- Share your paragraph with someone else, and ask them to pray with you as grow in your commitment to others and to mission.