The Apostle James reminds us:
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:19-25)
We have just looked into a mirror to see what needs to be adjusted as we venture out into the world. What action will we take?
Consider the following questions:
- Which of the three areas of Spiritual Development – Get Ready (Essential Truths), Get Set (Essential Disciplines), Go – Connect & Serve (Essential Engagement) – appears to be your strongest?
- Which of theses three areas of Spiritual Development appears to require the most attention?
- What did the Shape Survey reveal about how God has shaped you to serve others?
- What action steps do you need to take to improve and develop in your spiritual journey? (Please see possible suggestions listed below).
- Share your conclusions with someone else who will keep you on track with your objectives. Who will be your encouragement partner in this process?
Suggested Action Items
Get Ready (Essential Truths)
- Take one of our Clear Pathways classes especially designed for this Get Ready objective. Please see the current listing of Clear Pathways classes listed at each Campus.
- Participate in our ongoing all-church bible study series. During these series, one of the pastors will preach on a passage on Sunday. We then provide supplementary study materials for personal daily reflection and study.
- Join a Connect Group. We have many groups throughout the area that meet regularly to fellowship together, study the scriptures and pray for one another. Contact the church office if you are interested in joining one of these Connect Groups.
Get Set (Essential Disciplines)
- Take one of our Clear Pathways classes especially designed for this Get Set objective. Please see the current listing of Clear Pathways classes listed at each Campus.
- Select someone to pray for consistently on a weekly basis. Let them know that you are praying for them, and get constant updates from them.
- Partner with someone so that you can encourage one another to do a daily quiet time. If you need help connecting with someone, please contact the church office.
- Begin keeping a Prayer Journal to document your prayer life and to see how God is working.
- An easy way to get started in spiritual discipline is to participate with us in our all-church bible studies. See item # 2, under Get Ready, above.
- Start bringing an offering each week to church. For practical help managing your finances, you may want to take our Financial Peace University classes. Dates and times are listed in our Clear Pathways class brochure.
Go – Connect (Essential Engagement)
- As a start to building some Christian friendships, you may wish to attend one of our monthly Connecting Ministry Events. These events are listed on the web and in the weekly bulletin.
- Connect Groups are always a good way to meet others who can have a positive spiritual impact on your life. To join a Connect Group, contact the church office.
- One of the best ways to deepen your relationship with others is to join a ministry team. While serving together, ministry teams often form strong personal bonds.
- Our Family and Marriage Ministry teams provide several classes and programs to grow your family in God’s image. Please contact our Family Ministry office to get details concerning these opportunities.
- You may wish to engage in a charitable cause outside of Bethany Church to find relationships that allow you to share your faith. Contact our Bethany Church office to inquire about these types of opportunities.
Go – Serve (Essential Engagement)
- Attend Session 2 of our Discovery Series to assist you in discovering how God may be calling you to serve. Then schedule a review session with one of our ministry leaders as they help match you with an opportunity to serve.
- Try one of our First Serve Opportunities, a light-commitment chance to try out a ministry before signing up entirely. Contact the Church Office for more information.
- We are currently building a “Bethany Cares” section of our web site that will feature opportunities to serve the church and our communities. Please stay tuned.
- Just jump in; you’ll figure it out.
If you would like to discuss your Personal Spiritual Inventory or your Shape Survey with someone on our staff, please complete a Contact Form, and we will respond as soon as possible. Thank you.